Concealed Carry Weapon License Requirements: must meet ALL requirements
For the complete Fresno PD CCW Policy, CLICK HERE
California Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 provide that a Sheriff of a county or the Chief or other head of municipal police department of any city, or city and county, shall issue or renew a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person (Concealed Carry Weapon license).
Who Shall be Issued a License
The licensing authority specified in Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 shall issue a license to persons who are not a disqualified person to receive such a license, as determined in accordance with the standards set forth in Penal Code 26202, meet residential requirements, and have completed a course of training. All applicants for a Concealed Carry Weapon license will be fingerprinted and state and federal records will be checked to determine if they are eligible to possess firearms. Click here to view all categories that would prohibit a person from possessing firearms and being granted a Concealed Carry Weapon license.
Completing the Application
California Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 provide that a sheriff of a county or the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county shall issue a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person (CCW license). Penal Code section 26175 requires the Attorney General to prescribe a statewide standard application form for a CCW license. Answering all the questions on the Application does not guarantee the issuance of a Concealed Weapon Permit. The determination whether to issue the license is at the discretion of the licensing authority. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 26160, each licensing authority will have a written policy summarizing their requirements for issuance of a Concealed Weapon Permit. In addition, prior to issuing a Concealed Weapon Permit, the California State Statutes require proof that:
- The applicant is not a disqualified person to receive such a license, as determined in accordance with the standards set forth in Penal Code 26202;
- The applicant is at least 21 years of age, and presents clear evidence of the person’s identity and age, as defined in Penal Code 16400;
- The applicant is a resident of that city or city and county. Prima facie evidence of residency within the county or a city within the county includes, but is not limited to, the address where the applicant is registered to vote, the applicant’s filing of a homeowner’s property tax exemption, and other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the county or a city within the county is more than temporary or transient. The presumption of residency in the county or city within the county may be rebutted by satisfactory evidence that the applicant’s primary residence is in another county or city within the county;
- The course of training prescribed by the licensing authority has been completed.
- The applicant is the recorded owner, with the Department of Justice, of the pistol, revolver, or other firearm for which the license will be issued.
You will need to provide the names and contact information of three persons willing to serve as references. One of the three must be a person described in Penal Code section 273.5, subdivision (b) (your spouse, or former spouse, your cohabitant or former cohabitant, your fiancée, or someone with whom you have, or previously had, an engagement or dating relationship, or the mother or father of your child), if applicable. At least one of the three must be your cohabitant if applicable.
Effective January 1st, 2024, Senate Bill 2 requires that the firearms training course for initial CCW applications be a minimum of 16 hours and for CCW renewal applications by a minimum of 8 hours - Penal Code 26165.
If applying for a NEW Concealed Carry Weapon license a course approved by the Fresno Police Department must be completed prior to permit issuance. This course will be a minimum of 16 hours.
If applying for a RENEWAL Concealed Carry Weapon license, a 8 hour course approved by the Fresno Police Department must be completed prior to permit issuance.
If applying for a MODIFICATION to your current Concealed Carry Weapon license that includes a firearm change, you will need to submit training certifications from a traning vendor approved by the Fresno Police Department.
Prior to Filling Out This Application
- Be prepared to scan a copy of your valid California Driver’s license or California Identification card, which reflects your current City of Fresno address.
- Be prepared to scan copies of one proof of residency document - current and consecutive utility bills/statements that are in your name and reflect your current address in the City of Fresno. If you do not have utility bills in your name, residency documentation provided must be a monthly recurring bill. Mortgage statements and annual bills are NOT accepted. Past due bills/statements are NOT accepted.
- Be sure that each firearm you plan on listing on your Concealed Carry Weapon license is on record in the state of California in your name.